Mbappe vs Messi: As the world eagerly awaits to see who will be crowned the best player in this year’s World Cup, there is no shortage of opinions on who that should be. Some say it’s Cristiano Ronaldo, others Neymar or Kevin De Bruyne. But there is one name that keeps coming up time and again as a potential winner – Kylian Mbappe.
The French striker has been tearing up defenses all season long for his club team Paris Saint-Germain and many are tipping him to take home the golden boot at this year’s tournament. So how does he compare to the current king of football, Lionel Messi? We took a look at some of the Messi vs Mbappe stats to try and answer that question.
|Full name||Kylian Mbappé Lottin||Lionel Andrés Messi|
|Date of birth||20 December 1998||24 June 1987|
|Place of birth||Paris, France||Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Current team||Paris Saint-Germain||Paris Saint-Germain|
READ: Mbappe vs Haaland – Who Is Better?
Messi vs Mbappe goals
|(Messi/Mbappe)||Domestic Tournaments||National Tournaments||International Tournaments|
Mbappe vs Messi trophies
Between these two famous players, who have achieved more trophies?
- Ligue 1: 2016–17
- Coupe de la Ligue runner-up: 2016–17
- Ligue 1: 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20, 2021–22
- Coupe de France: 2017–18, 2019–20, 2020–21; runner-up: 2018–19
- Coupe de la Ligue: 2017–18, 2019–20
- Trophée des Champions: 2019, 2020
- UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2019–20
- UEFA European Under-19 Championship: 2016
- FIFA World Cup: 2018
- UEFA Nations League: 2020–21
- UEFA European Under-19 Championship: in 2016
- UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Year: in 2018–19, 2020–21, 2021–22
- UNFP Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year: in 2016–17, 2017–18, 2018–19
- UNFP Ligue 1 Team of the Year: in 2016–17; 2017–18; 2018–19; 2020–21; 2021–22
- UNFP Ligue 1 Player of the Month: in April 2017; March 2018; August 2018; February 2019; February 2021; August 2021; February 2022
- UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season: in 2016–2017, 2019–2020, 2020–2021
- UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: in 2021–22
- FIFA FIFPro World11: in 2018, 2019
- Golden Boy: 2017
- FIFA World Cup Young Player Award: 2018
- FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2018
- Kopa Trophy: 2018
- IFFHS Men’s World Team: 2018, 2021
- French Player of the Year: 2018, 2019
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2018
- Ligue 1 Top Goalscorer: in 2018–19, 2019–20, 2020–21, 2021–22
- Ligue 1 Top assist provider: 2021–22
- Globe Soccer Best Player of the Year: 2021
- Onze de Bronze: 2019
- UEFA Nations League Finals Golden Boot: 2021
READ: Pele vs Messi – Who is the greatest football player of all time?
- La Liga: in 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2012–13, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2017–18, 2018–19
- Copa del Rey: in 2008–2009, 2011–2012, 2014–2015, 2015–2016, 2016–2017, 2017–2018, 2020–2021
- Supercopa de España: in 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018
- UEFA Champions League: in 2005–06, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2014–15
- UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011, 2015
- Ligue 1: 2021–22
- Trophée des Champions: 2022
- FIFA World Youth Championship: 2005
- Summer Olympics: 2008
- Copa América: 2021; runner-up: 2007, 2015, 2016
- FIFA World Cup runner-up: 2014
- CONMEBOL–UEFA Cup of Champions: 2022
- Ballon d’Or/FIFA Ballon d’Or: in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019, 2021
- FIFA World Player of the Year: 2009
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player: 2019
- European Golden Shoe: in 2009–2010, 2011–2012, 2012–2013, 2016–2017, 2017–2018, 2018–2019
- FIFA World Cup Golden Ball: 2014
- FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball: 2009, 2011
- Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: 2020
- La Liga Best Player: in 2008–2009, 2009–2010, 2010–2011, 2011–2012, 2012–2013, 2014–2015
- Pichichi Trophy: in 2009−10, 2011–12, 2012−13, 2016–17, 2017−18, 2018–19, 2019–20, 2020–21
- Argentine Footballer of the Year: in 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021
Mbappe vs Messi skills
The prolific goal scorer is recognized for his finishing, positioning, quick reactions, and ability to initiate rushing attacks to get past the defense. Because of his vision and passing range, he also serves as a playmaker. He’s frequently compared to a magician or conjurer who makes objectives and chances appear when none would appear to exist.
He also takes free kicks and penalties with accuracy. The Argentina player leads all current players with 58 goals from direct free kicks as of August 2021, ranking 11th all-time. Additionally, he enjoys scoring from chips.
Leo has a reputation for dropping deep, forming connections with midfielders, directing attacking plays, and generating scoring opportunities.
Because of his speed and technical skill, Leo can make solo dribbling runs toward the direction of the goal, especially during counterattacks. Usually, he kicks off from the midpoint of the field or the right side. He is renowned for his inventive combinations, particularly with former Barcelona midfielders Xavi and Andrés Iniesta, but he is also a well-rounded, hard-working team player.
READ: Ronaldinho vs Messi – Who is Better Player?
Mbappe vs Messi, the French player is a skilled attacker who can play on either flank thanks to his talent with both feet. He frequently plays as a winger. Due to his vision, he can create opportunities and assist teammates from the right while also cutting into the center from the left wing with his better right foot. Due to his poise, accuracy, and eye for goal, he can also play as the main striker in the center of the field.
The French striker is a very skilled player who excels at dribbling and is renowned for his fast feet, explosive acceleration, agility, and inventiveness when in possession of the ball. He uses complex feints, including stepovers, or abrupt changes in pace or direction to deceive opponents while they are one on one. Despite having a tall, slender build, he plays sports and is physically gifted.
Along with his technical abilities, Kylian is admired for his exceptional pace and close ball control when dribbling quickly, as well as for his superb movement, tactical acumen, and capacity to outwit defenders by making incisive runs into open spaces both on and off the ball. He can weaken the defenses of opponents by timing his runs, and he also poses a serious offensive threat during counterattacks.
Mbappe vs Messi is a debate that will rage on for years to come, but it’s hard to argue against the fact that both of these players are incredible talents. If you want to see more of this type of action, be sure to visit our website Sporting difference for information about upcoming games and highlights. We hope you enjoyed this comparison of the two great players.
Thanks for reading!